This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Great Tutorial, But What happened?
Hello.

I am still learning the ins and outs of the GTN750.  I found a terrific tutorial on YouTube.  I have that exact plane, the Carenado PA44, and of course I have your excellent GTN750Xi.  While the video is a bit dated, June 2021, the content is still relevant.  Except that the tutor is able to do things in MSFS that we apparently cannot (or no longer can) do in MSFS.  Like for example pop out the GTN750Xi with its bezel while at the same time having complete integration within the VC cockpit.

The video is called "GTN 750Xi demo/tutorial for MSFS" and can be found here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KzvKDERIL6g.

Am I missing something or can we actually do that?  If this was possible in 2021, why is it not possible in 2022?  

Many thanks for your feedback.

Best,

Gianluca

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

It's not popped out. It's being run in standalone mode externally, where it comes with its own bezel (via the Garmin Trainer). That's how the TDS always worked at the time. There was no virtual cockpit integration. Some user had made a 3rd party mod where what was on the external TDS screen would get mirrored (without the ability to interact with it) in the virtual cockpit. That's what you're seeing in the video, and that's not how it works any more.

Since TDS integrated the GTNXi into the VC directly a few months back, this isn't possible to do it quite this way any more. In order to make it work, you need to remove the TDS plugin from the community folder, which removes the VC integration. Then you open the GTNXi externally via the TDS system tray icon. But then, you don't get the GTNXi in the virtual cockpit if you do that. It's basically one or the other.

Personally, I use the TDS GTNXi externally as described, but use the PMS50 GTN750 in the VC. I don't actually USE the PMS50 version in the VC. It's just there for looks and has the plus of showing Nexrad on the map screen, which the GTNXi doesn't. But I use the GTNXi externally on my touch screen for control of the plane and have integrated it into my Air Manager panels.
Hi and thanks. I too use the GTN750Xi in standalone mode on a separate touchscreen monitor. However, what you describe is interesting, i.e. using the TDS GTNXi externally, and use the PMS50 GTN750 in the VC just "for looks." I thought that having both files in the Community folder, would mess things up. But I guess, if it works for you, I will try it.

Thanks again.

Gianluca
(07-18-2022, 08:54 PM)Gianluca Wrote: Hi and thanks.  I too use the GTN750Xi in standalone mode on a separate touchscreen monitor.  However, what you describe is interesting, i.e. using the TDS GTNXi externally, and use the PMS50 GTN750 in the VC just "for looks." I thought that having both files in the Community folder, would mess things up.  But I guess, if it works for you, I will try it.

Thanks again.

Gianluca
It works fine. I've been doing this way for many months and never had an issue. The TDS is what's controlling your plane as long as you have the TDS selected as the primary control in its settings app.

And like I said, you can use things like Nexrad and weather radar in the VC using the PMS, which the TDS can't do. So it's got its advantages as well as just looking good in the cockpit.